Saturday, March 8, 2014

I've been working on creating a variety of drapey vests that are easy to wear and just as easy to launder.  I have created the following that are for sale:


This vest is made of silk that I found at a thrift store. The fabric was originally cream or off white with moth holes on part of it. I dyed it cobolt blue and cut off the piece that had the moth holes on it.  Afterwards, I discharged the fabric while I used a shibori-style tie dye method to get the mottled effect.  It was a process that took time and many steps, but the final result was well worth the effort.

This vest was a piect of lightweight denim on which I used the shibori-style tie-die.  I was pleasantly surprised and pleased at the outcome.

This vest is made from a baby blue pashmina shawl with a delicate, lacy design near the fringed edge.

This diaphinous vest is a work in progress.  It is made from a gauzy fabric that floats.  I will sew on individual, hand-made leaves to embellish it.  Stay tuned...

This vest is made from winter white fleece that I found as a remnant.  I made the pockets from the armholes that I cut out.  Before sewing them on, I hand stitched the edge using a wool yarn and a blanket stitch. I also stitched the front edge as well.
This gold vest is made of a lightweight wool blend fabric and has hand embroidered embellishment with beads and sequin in each medallion.  The view below shows the length of the back along with a view of the embroided circular medallions.
This short vest was created from another pashmina shawl.  I added a green ribbon trim as an accent.
One of my personal favorites, this originally a circle skirt that I found at a thrift store in Espanola, New Mexico.  The fabric is hand-woven wool blend made in Guatamala. I love the weight of it and the elegant way that it hangs, The original piece was dismantled, and I made the pockets that are self lined from the circles that I cut out for the armholes. This is another long vest for anyone who is tall.
This vest is made of Thai silk that feels more like cotton.  It is washable and wears well. Since it is long, it can be worn like the short vest below, draped over a shoulder or tied at the waist.

This lightweight wool scarf was made into a vest and looks good worn simply draped over one shoulder.
This airy cotton vest has machine embroided details that makes it the perfect summer cover up at the beach or at a casual outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment